The CRA is hiring! Entry-level positions are now available as Taxpayer Services Agents. SP-04
About the job
CRA prioritizes diversity and inclusion and is firmly committed to providing a diverse workforce that reflects the population we serve. CRA’s National Employment Equity (EE) Staffing Strategy strives to eliminate EE gaps for the four EE designated groups: Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities, and women. Where an EE gap exists at the time of appointment, EE may be used as an appointment criterion for permanent and temporary appointments/staffing actions over six months made through this process.
Language Requirements: English Essential
Taxpayer Services Agent (SP0465)
As a Taxpayer Services Agent the successful candidates will be working in a fast-paced inbound contact centre environment responding to a variety of business related enquiries in English including, but not limited to, business registrations, payroll deductions, GST/HST, sole proprietorship, and corporate income tax. Key activities may include:
- Educating taxpayers in English by providing information and explanations to taxpayers over the telephone in response to their business enquiries which may include promoting available CRA administered programs and resources.
- Demonstrate courtesy, empathy, and professionalism in gathering information from taxpayers to establish the precise nature of their enquiry and responding to enquiries in a timely manner
- Researching solutions to taxpayer inquiries using a variety of internal and external information sources to meet taxpayer needs.
Please be aware that this position will also include the following:
- The use of a headset or handset for prolonged periods
- Sitting and working at a computer screen for extended periods of time
- Working in an environment that contains background noise
- Responding to urgent and complex enquiries from taxpayers in demanding situations
The pool established from this staffing process may be used to staff similar positions.
To obtain a copy of the work description, you may contact the person/email listed at the bottom of the notice.
The current Contact Centre hours of operation are 8:00 am to 8:00 pm from Monday to Friday and 9:00 am to 5:00 pm on Saturdays. However, hours of operation may be subject to change to meet operational requirements
Hours of work and schedules may frequently fluctuate from a part-time schedule to a full time schedule of 37.5 hours during peak. Agents must be available to work all scheduled hours as weekly hours of work are matched to call demand and could be changed as needed.
Contracts may be offered based on performance, operational requirements, and budget available. Additionally, job offers to successful candidates may be made at any time during the validity period of the pool.
The initial contract will be for up to 12 weeks to encompass the training period and the training will be delivered virtually. Your continued employment with the Canada Revenue Agency beyond the initial training period will be contingent on your successful completion of the training and an assessment at the end of that period.
New phone agents will primarily be scheduled for shifts that end at 7:00 p.m or later. Please give careful consideration to these hours before applying as preference of shift may not be provided.
Come work for the CRA, one of the Top 100 Employers in Canada!
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, public health recommendations and restrictions are in place across Canada and may change as circumstances evolve. You may be required to temporarily work remotely (e.g. from home). Further information will be provided if you are selected for the position.
Who can apply
Persons living in Canada and Canadian citizens living abroad.
Preference for appointment will be given to veterans, Canadian citizens and permanent residents.
AND eligible veterans and Canadian Forces members
AND individuals with preferred status who live or work within the general rule of minimum distance of the position(s) being staffed.
Please note that this process will be used to staff positions 25 Sheppard Avenue West, North York, Ontario . If you are a candidate from the general public, you will have to pay for any expenses related to your participation in this staffing process, as well as any relocation costs if you receive an offer of employment from this process.
Qualified members and former members of the Canadian Forces who receive an offer of employment are not entitled to relocation costs from the CRA. They may, however, be entitled to a final relocation from the Department of National Defence.
Virtual reporting may be possible, if operational requirements permit.
We encourage you to submit your application as soon as possible as the closing date and time on this notice of job opportunity may change.
We may give preference to the first 200 candidates who meet the staffing requirements to apply. Additional candidates may be considered as needed. If you are considered further, we will notify you in writing of the next step in this staffing process.
Essential staffing requirements
To be eligible, you must meet the following requirements.
Note: By the closing date and time of this poster, you must upload your education credentials in the education section of your Candidate Profile to demonstrate that you meet the essential education requirements.
Candidates with foreign education credentials must have their education confirmed by a recognized credential assessment service.
Please visit the step by step guide on how to add your education credentials to your Candidate Profile prior to submitting your application.
Have experience in the following:
Experience* in customer service defined as interacting with the public (Internal or External) either in person and/or on the telephone and/or on a computer. Providing customer service to the public would include at least one or more of the following:
- Explaining and sharing information
- Responding to requests and enquiries
- Resolving complaints and problems
And, Computer Experience*:
Utilizing Microsoft Office or other computer software and/or computer programming to update and maintain data as well as to research and/or study.
Please outline the following on your application:
- Computer software and/or computer programming you are proficient in, including specific details on your experience using the programs
- Specific details regarding your experience and level of proficiency using application and search tools to complete research or answer questions
*Experience is defined by the experience normally acquired over 6 consecutive months in the last 2 years.
Note: The onus is on the candidate to explain their qualifications to the experience requirements in clear and precise detail on the questionnaire. The information provided must enable the Staffing Board to understand the level and the recency of the experience and if applicable the exact kind of position(s) occupied by the candidate, the period they occupied the position(s), and the tasks actually performed for each position.
The above experience requirements may be further defined or specified based on recent experience and upon the length of time gaining this experience. You will be notified in writing if any further information or clarification regarding the recency/duration of your experience is required.
Asset staffing requirements
Candidates are encouraged to submit their online application, education credentials and all required documents as soon as possible. Candidates will be screened against the prerequisite staffing requirements on an on-going basis. If you meet the prerequisite staffing requirements, you will be invited to an assessment.
The essential staffing requirements indicated below will be assessed during the process and may be used to identify candidates for positions. Asset staffing requirements may also be assessed during the staffing process and may be used to identify candidates for positions. You will be notified in advance of any asset requirements to be evaluated.
- Ability to Communicate Effectively Orally- In English
- Performance validation
The results of locally developed assessments are not transferable to other staffing processes.
Note: A top down approach may be invoked at any stage in this process to limit numbers of candidates or for appointment purposes.
IMPORTANT: Virtual assessments may be conducted by telephone, video conference or other alternate formats where possible. During virtual assessments the candidate must have access to a telephone, stable internet connection and privacy for the duration of the assessment. Certain software/Apps may be required to complete the assessment. It is recommended to have access to a desktop or laptop computer during the assessments to allow you to participate fully at the assessment stage. Candidates may not be accompanied by other individuals during their assessment.
You are expected to make yourself available for assessment when scheduled. Assessments will only be rescheduled for exceptional circumstances and supporting documentation may be requested by the Staffing Board. The Staffing Board will make these decisions on a case by case basis. Candidates from the general public are responsible for travel expenses (if any) incurred to attend assessments.
Please note that the assessment stage of this staffing process will be conducted in conjunction with staffing process (insert requisition number). If you apply on these processes, you will be assessed only once on common elements.
- Specific experience
- Additional education or training
- Budgetary considerations
- Duration of appointment
- Start date
- Minimize business disruption
- Employment Equity
Conditions of employment
- Reliability/Security - Reliability Status
- Successful applicants must be available to attend full-time training each day Monday to Friday for a period of up to 6 weeks (37.5 hrs/week).
- Physically work from, report to, and relocate to the contact centre location at 25 Sheppard Ave. West North York, Ontario.
- Due to the current COVID-19 situation you may be required to temporarily work remotely (e.g. from home). This will require access to a stable internet connection with a minimum of 10mbps upload speed and a private space in order to maintain private and confidential information. Candidates eligible to telework during the current COVID-19 situation who are offered positions via this process will be required to attend the office at 25 Sheppard Ave West North York, ON periodically for training, meetings, or in the event of equipment issues, including but not limited to completion of orientation prior to the start of virtual training or completion of on the job training after virtual training.
- Reliability/Security - Reliability Status
- Available to work during the Contact Centre hours of operation
- Available to work overtime as required
- Available to take and successfully complete training
- Ability to work shifts and/or a flexible schedule, including weekends and statutory holidays, as required
Want to know more?
The CRA is committed to building a skilled, diverse workforce reflective of Canadian society. To find out more, consult Employment equity, diversity and inclusion at the CRA. We encourage you to complete the Employment Equity (EE) Staffing questionnaire as part of your application if you wish to be considered for staffing actions using the EE staffing requirement in this process. Your questionnaire response will be retained on file for the duration of the staffing process. If you do not complete the questionnaire, you will not be considered for any staffing actions using the EE staffing requirement in this process. If you decide to modify your response or fill out this questionnaire at a later date, please notify the contact listed at the bottom of this notice of job opportunity.
CRA employees support the economic and social well-being of Canadians, and build public trust. We have high expectations, and our employees are held to the standards of conduct outlined in our Code of integrity and professional conduct and Directive on conflict of interest, gifts and hospitality, and post-employment.
Information regarding the status of your application will be communicated via the candidate profile on the CRA Careers site. We strongly encourage you to verify the email address attached to your profile and to check your messages regularly for any updates.
Return to: Search jobs
- Screen ID:
- 2022-11-15 12:32:02