Director General (EX-02), Risk, Quality, and Branch Management Directorate, Audit, Evaluation and Risk Branch
This notice of job opportunity is closed and you can no longer submit an application.
About the job
Have you ever wanted to make a difference to the lives of millions of people and influence how government interacts with Canadians? Are you inspired by the possibility of delivering results in a people-centric environment and in an organization that encourages innovation? Do you want to be part of a team that is engaged, collaborative and respectful?
If you answered yes to the above, THIS is the job for you and the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) is THE organization for you.
Don’t miss out on your opportunity to work for one of the Top 100 Employers in Canada! Apply now!
At the CRA, we recognize the importance of creating a healthy and respectful workplace, where our employees are empowered to be themselves and realize their full potential. We value integrity, respect, professionalism and collaboration. At the core of our values is our deep commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion. Through experience we know that diversity and inclusion foster innovation and leads to greater engagement, richer discussions, and better results for the people and communities we serve. Find out more about what makes us a great place to work.
CRA is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please use the Contact information below to request specialized accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
The Audit, Evaluation, and Risk Branch (AERB) at the CRA is looking for dynamic, collaborative and strategic leaders with a proven track record to contribute to the People First vision and take the delivery of services to Canadians to the next level while demonstrating character leadership (CL). The CRA is elevating CL alongside competencies, as "leading from who you are" is recognized as an important part of the CRA leadership practice.
The Director General, Risk, Quality, and Branch Management Directorate (EX-02), reports to the Assistant Commissioner (equivalent to the Assistant Deputy Minister) and Chief Audit Executive, Audit, Evaluation, and Risk Branch, CRA. Under their responsibility, direct reports include a Director of Enterprise Risk Management Division, Director Quality and Branch Management Division, as well as a Manager of External Audit Liaison.
This leadership role includes responsibility for providing executive leadership for the CRA Enterprise Risk Management regime; providing leadership in professional practices by promoting and integrating high standards, quality service, and efficient operations, and overseeing the development of the audit and evaluation plan. This position is accountable for effective liaison services on engagements with external assurance providers, such as the Office of the Auditor General of Canada, as well as providing advice and expertise on the administration of the Public Servants Disclosures Protection Act.
Here are the essential requirements for this job opportunity:
Occupy a position within the Federal Public Service, including Crown corporations and agencies. If you are an eligible veteran or a Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) member, you may also apply.
Have a degree (see note 1) from a recognized post-secondary institution.
Have a record of strong performance and evidence of readiness to assume responsibilities at the EX-02 level.
Have recent and significant experience at the executive level or equivalent (see note 2), in the following four (4) essential experience criteria:
- Developing and implementing internal audit and/or internal control strategies, policies and programs, or delivering internal audit and/or internal control services at the enterprise level.
- Providing strategic advice, recommendations, and briefings to senior level officials on complex matters in internal audit, internal control, evaluation, governance, risk or performance measurement - or similar areas.
- Building, managing, and negotiating with key internal and external stakeholders, such as external assurance providers.
- In managing human resources and financial resources. (Please be specific: indicate the number of direct reports, subordinates and the dollar figures of the budgets you directly managed for each position).
(1) Degree: is defined as a baccalaureate or higher-level degree.
(2) Recent and significant experience is normally acquired at the EX-01 level, or equivalent or higher level, for a period of at least two consecutive years within the last five years.
(3) Individuals occupying a position in the federal government at the EX-02 substantive group and level and individuals currently in the CRA's EX-02 Pre-qualified pool (PQP) must submit an application if they are interested in being considered.
(4) Preference may be given to candidates:
- who self-identify as members of Employment Equity groups of Indigenous Peoples and/or visible minority.
- who possess more depth, breadth and relevance of experience.
- who possess a recognized professional accounting designation (CPA, CA, CMA, or CGA) or a professional audit certification (CIA, CGAP or CISA).
This experience would be considered an asset:
- Experience dealing with complex audit or evaluation matters at the enterprise level.
These conditions of employment will be required at the time of appointment:
- Secret security clearance level
- Willingness to travel
- Willingness to relocate to the National Capital Region (Ottawa, Ontario). Candidates not currently located in Ottawa, Ontario or within commuting distance must indicate in their application their willingness to relocate. Failure to do so at the time of application may result in being screened out of the staffing process.
- All appointments (except acting appointments) to and within the Executive (EX) Group at the CRA are subject to the Agreement to be laterally moved provision as a mandatory condition of employment. This provision is included in the CRA’s Directive on Terms and Conditions of Employment for the EX Group.
- Bilingual imperative – CBC levels
- Candidates MUST have valid Second Language Evaluation test results at the CBC levels*, at the time of application in order to be considered in this staffing process.
*In response to the measures taken by the Public Service Commission following COVID-19, the CRA applies the 12-month extension of expired Second Language Evaluation (SLE) Results. For example, if an individual has a result that expired in January 2022, it is still deemed valid until January 2023.
Submit the following documents via the CRA’s careers portal:
- A cover letter that includes the following :
In a maximum of 1,200 words, clearly outline how you meet the essential requirements (this does not include experience considered an asset). You must outline the experience you meet as a leader followed by concrete examples.
In a maximum of 300 words, describe who you are as a leader and why you are ready to advance to the director general position at the EX-02 group and level in AERB.
- A curriculum vitae which includes:
- group and level of your substantive position;
- current security clearance level;
- for each position occupied/listed:
- position title with the group and level;
- name of organization, including branch or area of work;
- duration (years and months);
- number of people you have managed (direct and indirect reports); and
- the dollar figures of the budget for which you were accountable.
Additional questionnaires which are part of the application process. You will be prompted to provide the following information:
- Reference checks: the names and coordinates of six (6) references (two most recent supervisors, two colleagues and two subordinates). The Staffing Board reserves the right to contact references other than those provided by the applicants, if found necessary, to adequately assess the applicants. The Staffing Board may also consider using reference checks completed from a previous staffing process at the EX level.
- Mobility: your willingness to relocate to the National Capital Region (NCR) Ottawa, Ontario if you do not reside within commuting distance.
- Second Language Evaluation (SLE) results: your SLE results with the expiration date.
- Job performance and talent management: your performance rating and talent placement for the last two years.
- Employment Equity (EE) staffing questionnaire: Candidates must complete this questionnaire upon application. The information collected is kept under the confidentiality provisions of the Privacy Act and the Employment Equity Act and its Regulations.
Note: Failure to provide the requested information according to the above-noted instructions will result in your application being screened out of this staffing process.
This staffing process will be conducted under tight deadlines shortly after the closing date of the job notice. As such, applicants are required to provide requested information promptly and make themselves available for assessment. Failure to respond in a timely manner could lead to your candidacy not being further considered. Rescheduling will be on an exceptional basis only.
Depending on the volume of applicants and on upcoming vacancies to staff from this process, volume management strategies such as top-down/sliding pass mark approach may be used for the purpose of managing applications and determining who will be retained for the next stage of the staffing process.
We plan to assess candidates as follows:
Your application will be reviewed to determine if you meet the screening requirements. Asset requirements may be invoked at the screening stage, accordingly, ensure you fully demonstrate in your application how you meet all essential experience requirements, as well as assets. We also recommend that you to pay close attention to the instructions under the “to Apply” section.
- Key leadership competencies (KLCs) – Candidates may be assessed on the following KLCs: Create Vision and Strategy; Mobilize People; Uphold Integrity and Respect; Collaborate with Partners and Stakeholders; Promote Innovation and Guide Change; and Achieve Results.
- References and Assessment of Performance results and Talent Map Placement – References of candidates will be contacted to learn more about candidates’ professional experiences, how they demonstrate the KLCs and their readiness to assume a leadership role at the EX-02 group and level. Performance results will be used to confirm a record of strong performance. Talent Map Placements of candidates will be considered for the two (2) most recent years.
- CL interview
Candidates who meet the previous assessment phases will be invited to an interview where CL will be assessed. The CRA is looking to attract candidates who demonstrate strong CL. Dimensions of character are: courage, drive, accountability, transcendence, humanity, humility, collaboration, temperance, integrity, justice and judgment. A CL candidate information session will be scheduled and offered prior to the interviews.
Note: Additional assessments may be completed throughout the process.
Want to know more?
The CRA is committed to building a skilled, diverse workforce reflective of Canadian society. To find out more, consult Employment equity, diversity and inclusion at the CRA. We encourage you to complete the Employment Equity (EE) Staffing questionnaire as part of your application if you wish to be considered for staffing actions using the EE staffing requirement in this process. Your questionnaire response will be retained on file for the duration of the staffing process. If you do not complete the questionnaire, you will not be considered for any staffing actions using the EE staffing requirement in this process. If you decide to modify your response or fill out this questionnaire at a later date, please notify the contact listed at the bottom of this notice of job opportunity.
CRA employees support the economic and social well-being of Canadians, and build public trust. We have high expectations, and our employees are held to the standards of conduct outlined in our Code of integrity and professional conduct and Directive on conflict of interest, gifts and hospitality, and post-employment.
A pool of pre-qualified candidates may be created to staff similar EX-02 positions in the Federal Public Service, including Crown corporations and agencies.
Name: Chelsea Culley
Email address: Chelsea.Culley@cra-arc.gc.ca
Return to: Search jobs
- Screen ID:
- 2022-11-15 12:32:02